independent realflow forum

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:14 pm 

1. How is RF 2012 working with Lightwave? I've got RF4, but have not tried 2012.

2. Is it fun to work with, or like pulling teeth to get it integrated with Lightwave and useable for some decent simulations.

3. Any downsides?

4. My system has dual Intel XEON E5520's (4 cores @ 2.26 GHz), 48GB RAM and a GTX 580 with 3GB VRAM. Do I have enough horsepower to really use it for something interesting? I don't have any other fast boxes to network.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 pm 

I guess this post is from several months ago, but if you're still around, or if anyone else is wondering the same thing, here are my impressions so far. I'm finding it workable, but it's been a bit of a struggle. Here are some tips:

Do NOT use the realflow lightwave plugin to import realflow meshes. Not only is it slower to replace the meshes on each frame, it will frequently reset the surfaces back to default, or even switch the surfaces between multiple meshes that you have loaded.

The workaround for this, which is working for me so far, is to export your meshes as .lwo files (setting is available under Export Central), create and save your surface in lightwave, then use this little app to apply that surface to the entire .lwo sequence:

http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=87fdffbe

Then load the first object of the sequence into LW and use LW's native object sequencer to replace the mesh for each frame.

I don't think this workflow supports motion blur. You probably need to use the buggy Nextlimit plugin for that.

Also, you can ignore all the RealFlow Renderkit stuff that NextLimit has been touting. They've said that it's simply not worth their while to bother making it for Lightwave. Too bad this pretty severe lack of functionality doesn't equate to a discount for Lightwave users, but I guess separate pricing isn't really possible when the plugins for different apps are freely available.

Anyway, apart from these annoying workarounds and lack of features, it's completely workable. I'm using a computer significantly less powerful than what you're using, and while I'm not doing anything too crazy, I'm still getting decent results.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:18 pm 

Again, sorry for the old thread, but the new version of the plugin for Lightwave is out and it works very well.

I used to have to use the surface replacment utility Iteration2 talked about, but that was when I was using Standard meshes. If you use the Render Kit meshes instead, (you don't need to buy the Render Kit, for the RK meshes come with Real Flow) you just simply use a pre made Lightwave surface file during the process of importing the new meshes into Layout, and it will automatically apply the surface to each mesh frame.

Also, one of the problem I had with the old plugin and standard meshes is scale differences. I like to work in larger scales within Real flow in order to get a higher resoution liquid. But when I imported the mesh back into Lightwave, I had to ajust its scale to match the geometry in the Lightwave scene.

With this new plugin version, and using RK meshes, it ajusts the scale automatically. :D

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:15 pm 

Please excuse me for being thick but I'm a rank amateur.
I am using Lightwave 11.5 and Realflow 2012.

iteration2
I cannot access LW's object sequencer........please help.

Oldcode
You say you just simply use a pre made Lightwave surface file during the process of importing the new meshes into Layout. Could you please be more specific.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:22 pm 

Hey Macpete,

To access the the Real Flow Plug In Manager, Ctrl-Q will bring up the interface to Lightwave's Master Plugins manager. Use the pull down menu to select the Next Limit Plug-in manager. Double Click. For importing meshing you created in Real Flow, go to the Mesh Import tab.

See in my attachments. In the Surface Editor find or create a surface you want to use for your fluid mesh. See the two buttons I've got circled in Red? Use the Save button to have the surface settings saved to a file. It should have a *.SRF extension. This allows you to save surface files and move them or send them to others.

When you bring up the Import Mesh window. You'll see a check box that says "Custom Surfaces" (In Blue). When you do that, it will activate a button (In Red) that will bring up a browser so you can pick the *.SRF file you want to be assigned to the Real Flow Mesh. This will automatically assign the surface file to each frame of your mesh.

Good luck,

Attachments:
Surface Editor.jpg
Surface Editor.jpg [ 105.5 KiB | Viewed 1164 times ]
Importer.jpg
Importer.jpg [ 43.06 KiB | Viewed 1164 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:31 pm 

Hi oldcode,

Thanks for that but I still have the same problem. Here's what's happening.........
I access the plug-in manager and enter the RK mesh, then I press the add button and the Import Mesh window appears. At the same time the mesh is loaded into Lightwave (in white). Adding a custom surface at this point appears to be completely ineffective.
In the Import Mesh window there is no "activate" button so how do I get the surface to activate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 pm 

Okay, try this...

Have your scene at frame one. Add your Real Flow mesh, add your surface file, then click on any other frame in the time line and watch what happens.

If that does not work, I got nothing.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:24 pm 

oldcode,

I am afraid that your advice has led to nothing, it still doesn't work.
However I do appreciate to efforts to help me.

All the best.