independent realflow forum

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: nOOb here.. help
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:15 am 

im trying to simulate a chocholate pour .. below the screenshot of the problem ... there are some isolated particles comes out .. how to eliminate those . my simulation substeps are min 10 max 333 .. is it ok ?

problem: http://i40.tinypic.com/1o4vx3.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:39 am 

Hi, you'll need to increase your substeps because you have a higher viscosity setting.

Here is a video I made for someone a little while ago. This uses a viscosity of 300.

http://vimeo.com/31063745

Maybe try a value of 100/333. See what that looks like. If you still get some wandering particles, increase the min setting by 50. If 100/333 works better, decrease the min substeps by 10 at a time.

Small changes in substep settings usually helps but I always do bigger changes because it saves time in the long run arsing about.

The way I do things is I increase by 50 at a time and decrease by 10 at a time.

-Sean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:44 am 

otuama wrote: Hi, you'll need to increase your substeps because you have a higher viscosity setting.

Here is a video I made for someone a little while ago. This uses a viscosity of 300.

http://vimeo.com/31063745

Maybe try a value of 100/333. See what that looks like. If you still get some wandering particles, increase the min setting by 50. If 100/333 works better, decrease the min substeps by 10 at a time.

Small changes in substep settings usually helps but I always do bigger changes because it saves time in the long run arsing about.

The way I do things is I increase by 50 at a time and decrease by 10 at a time.

-Sean

so so fast reply maan .. thanks a lot .. i m going to try now .... will update ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:46 am 

by the way .. is there any good chocholate ( viscous fluid ) pour tut anywhere ? thanks a lot. your video explains my problme so nicely :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:01 pm 

another question ... when simulating .. realflow only use 50% of my cpu power .. can i make it 100% and improve simulation time ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:15 pm 

No chocolate tutorials come to mind, sorry.

CPU: This has been brought up a few times. Realflow only uses what it needs for a simulation. So unless someone can correct me, you can't make it use more than it needs.

Changing the substeps may be better in the long run but something else you could use instead of upping the substeps is to add a kSpeed daemon.

Turn on 'Particle Tooltip' and as soon as particles pop out, put your mouse over the particle and note the speed. Set the Max Speed setting to the same-ish value as the particle.

Then either set the kSpeed to limit & keep of kill.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:42 pm 

otuama wrote: No chocolate tutorials come to mind, sorry.

CPU: This has been brought up a few times. Realflow only uses what it needs for a simulation. So unless someone can correct me, you can't make it use more than it needs.

Changing the substeps may be better in the long run but something else you could use instead of upping the substeps is to add a kSpeed daemon.

Turn on 'Particle Tooltip' and as soon as particles pop out, put your mouse over the particle and note the speed. Set the Max Speed setting to the same-ish value as the particle.

Then either set the kSpeed to limit & keep of kill.

great tip.

what is the bst way to fast preview the simualtion , i mean is there any way or setting that will simulate roughtly and let me see how the final outcome might look like ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:45 pm 

Well, as you need the substeps for the viscosity, you could try reducing the resolution.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:25 pm 

if 3-4 particles do shoot out, while meshing your particles in your 3D app via render kit, u can tell it not to mesh the isolated particles. It may or may not work but its worth a try.
Great tip otuama

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:33 pm 

mukesh131silent may be right. However, if particles are escaping while performing a simple pour, it's likely that you'll get more popping particles through the sim and you'll find particles in the main body of the chocolate move erratically, which will show up if you build a mesh.