independent realflow forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2 Colour Drop Toy
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:26 pm 

Hi all.

Thought I'd post about a sim I'm working on.

It's based on the following toy on YouTube.

After a load of testing I think I've managed to find the correct settings for the liquid. A lower surface tension didn't form blobs, a higher tension and the liquid didn't go through the funnel. Based on a res of 20, the min tension that can be used is 6000 and the max is 8000 so I'm currently using a tension of 7000.

Have a look and see what you think of it so far.

I have run into a more annoying problem however. In real life the blobs keep the same distance from eachother and don't collide (unless the toy is moved). I can't figure out how to make that work. Some blobs go faster than others and consume the ones in front.

At the moment I've uploaded 2 previews. Here is the first of them from when the liquid wouldn't pass through the funnel and I tried a workaround: Vimeo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:40 am 

Hey... nice start...i think the particle weight is little high....i'll also try.... thnx for sharing...

https://vimeo.com/scubedio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:30 am 

It's getting the correct balance. As it stands, when the blobs drop, the majority of the time they drop with just enough time so they don't consume one another.

I've already played with the density and it doesn't seem to help. I've tried a density setting of 100 bringing the mass down to 0.005 but I get the same problem that some blobs are faster than others. I've played with the 'runs' particle friction and roughness but no go there either.

A part of me actually quite likes the fact that they do consume one another. Maybe that's just my way of justifying it that I can't get it the way I want :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:44 am 

I'm actually considering altering the scene and making 2 pipes which weave through both sections. It'll drain the container sections quicker and 'may' make it look more interesting

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:29 am 

Thats a good idea..... my work is still in progress.... but the actuall thing is, its very hard to model the liquid toy... a small difference in 'angle of slide' makes a huge change....may b today i'll upload my first version.....:)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:41 am 

I added a bounded drag daemon and gave it a strength of 3.5. I also upped the runs roughness. It looked promising because it slowed down the blobs and there were 9 blobs on the run at the same time but then one blobs half way down the run caught up with the other and consumed the other.

Going to try something else then I'm going to give up on that problem because I can't figure it out.

If someone can tell me how to assign the exact same speed to every particle, maybe something can be done with that.

UPDATE

Tried a bounded gravity pointing upwards with a very low value and that again looked promising but nope, didn't work.

Activated the drag daemon too. Didn't help.

Balls!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:12 am 

Out of desperation I tried to catch the blobs in-between planes (like a conveyor belt) but that didn't work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:41 pm 

Hi otuama.....i tried something...here i did't used any drag daemon,juz gravity field and fuid settings.....
Here is the link.....
http://www.vimeo.com/28233664

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:17 pm 

Hi. Its just finished converting. It's nice. I didn't bother using any daemons in my last Vimeo upload and to be honest I am starting to prefer it. It's annoying that I can't figure out how to get it looking like the real thing in the case of the drops keeping the exact same distance with about 6 drops being on a run at the same time.

Really pi**ing me off.

Sod it, I'm going to add another feature to the toy. I wanted to do this so it worked exactly like the real one. As it doesn't I can do what I like with it now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:41 am 

Hi...ur last version is looking good...cheers>>>>