Importing Alembic cache from Maya

Discussions about the use of Realflow
tsn

Re: Importing Alembic cache from Maya

Postby tsn » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:41 pm

At least i've been able to reproduce your observation, but i'm still not sure what causes this (when I import the object to C4D, for example, everything's correct). I'll keep you posted.

tsn

Postby tsn » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:50 pm

I've taken your original Alembic, imported it to C4D and reexported it as an SD and it's working. This could be at least a workaround for now. Same applies to a reexported Alembic. So I think it's an issue with Maya. If you want me to convert your working files let me know. You can PM me your links as well if you don't want to share them here.

Georgi_ST

Postby Georgi_ST » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Thank you very much. I will upload the original files and send you links on PM.

What a weird thing with Maya, strangely enough, it does not even let me export an SD properly!

Thank you TSN, you are saving my ass!

Georgi_ST

Postby Georgi_ST » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:34 am

tsn wrote: Same applies to a reexported Alembic. So I think it's an issue with Maya.

Can you show me or type what are you settings for exporting Alembic from Cinema 4D? :idea: It might be because of different version of the alembic exporter! Do you use Alembic Ogawa ?

tsn

Postby tsn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 am

Here are my Alembic import settings - C4D uses are rather big scale: https://picload.org/image/rcowlpga/c4d_ ... import.jpg
And this is the export dialogue: https://picload.org/image/rcowlpgl/c4d_ ... export.jpg

As you can see, C4D uses Ogawa. The only unknown is axis setup, because C4D has a YXZ orientation. I can prepare download links with the lemon object you've sent me already as ABC and SD. Just to check out if it works.

With regards Maya's Alembic exporter I'm not so sure anymore if it's really the (only) culprit. C4D imported your object without any problems and it came to RF correctly. Maybe there's some information in the original Alembic header that's misinterpreted by RF. C4D might be more robust here and ignores this information, but it's just an educated guess...

tsn

Postby tsn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:23 pm

This issue has been solved by reexporting the nodes via Cinema 4D's SD Exporter plugin.

Return to “Realflow”