Ocean force

Discussions about the use of Realflow
stefan_bartram

Ocean force

Postby stefan_bartram » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:53 am

Hi :) just wondered if I'm the only one having trouble controlling the ocean force daemon. I'm trying to use it creating rolling waves on a open ocean, not smashing against rockes etc. But it just gives me some kind of bubbels on the ocean surface that not really rolls, and all the time gatering strenghts. and its very sensitive . Need to use it creates waves against a ship

Thanks Stefan

ChristianZ

Re: Ocean force

Postby ChristianZ » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:18 am

Hi !

So, your project is maybe not that different from the classic beach simulations (I did one using ocean force with this result: https://vimeo.com/146619564 ) when you consider the ship a "rock"....

Did you play with the parameter "Attenuation height" ? Maybe changing to linear could help to scale up the waves?
RF10 standard + RFC4D

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:08 am

In addition to the above, I found it helpful to practice first in an empty scene with just the ocean force inside. The ocean force daemon produces some kind of Realwave surface and with that you can adjust the wave parameters (like dimensions setting the size of the fractal deformation), and the timing. Only after that, the other parameters such as force, depth etc. will be important acting on a hybrido domain.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

stefan_bartram

Postby stefan_bartram » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:41 am

Thanks Christian :)

That is what I also have done , starting just with the ocean force. I can get some waves rolling , but there is a couple of thing that keep the "quality" of the waves down. I think there to blobby. I'm missing the "sharpeness" from realwave . Of course it also depends on the number of particles. What resolution do you use in the ocean force setting ? . Also they tend to get stronger and stronger not keeping the same size ( hight) and wher do you set the "plane", under the surfarce or on it ?

thanks stefan

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:17 pm

Hi Stefan,

these are all interesting questions. But first, I had to prepare a test-setup for myself in order to practice with the parameter. Especially, I needed a simple repetitive wave structure that is easier to predict what it should do. So, I came up with a repeating sinus wave.
As first parameter to compare, I am showing here the time factor, slow and fast. Interestingly, the slow action of the ocean force allows for a lot of vorticity, while the fast one is not, at least not with the same strength of the daemon.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:37 am

I made an updated version of the comparison, now including different strengths of the daemon. It seems, there are already some interesting shapes in these waves.
Other parameters like wind speed are all the same in these movies.

https://youtu.be/BsOQb6UGHt4
RF10 standard + RFC4D

stefan_bartram

Postby stefan_bartram » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:14 am

Funny how the water behave in the first setup :)

Return to “Realflow”