Hybrido Mesh crashing - PLEASE HELP!!

Discussions about the use of Realflow
adametheridge

Hybrido Mesh crashing - PLEASE HELP!!

Postby adametheridge » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi There

I’m having problems meshing a hybrido scene and really need some help!!

Basically RF crashes almost every time I try and build a single frame of mesh in this scene. I’ve also tried command line, and this goes works for about 30 frames then also crashes. I’ve also tried on a number of different machines (PC and Mac) and the same thing happens.

… So I think it must be something to do with the scene, but I can’t figure out what!

The scene is of a whale breaching the surface of an ocean. Scene file here:
https://we.tl/CQPRdfwfdl

If anyone has any ideas, it would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,
Adam

ChristianZ

Re: Hybrido Mesh crashing - PLEASE HELP!!

Postby ChristianZ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:33 pm

Hi

I can confirm that the scene indeed crashes at the mesh-making step. I have tried to remove the filter settings of the mesh, but it still crashes. Maybe, a different type of mesh has to be used?

Maybe try the older non-VDB hybridoMesh. It is slower, but does not crash so easy here.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

adametheridge

Postby adametheridge » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi there

Thanks for looking at the scene. I tried the old mesh as well - it works sometimes, but more often than not it also causes a crash.

However, I think I’ve found out what’s causing it… If I turn “vorticity attenuation” OFF, it no longer crashes! Splash and Speed attenuation seem to be fine… I don’t know if this is a bug, or I’ve set it up wrong?

On a related note (this might be a stupid question!)… on the Hybrido Domain node under “Particle Channels”, does turning the “Vorticity” ON actually have an effect on the fluid? Does it change the way the particles are actually simulated? or does it simply control if vorticity data is written into the particles?

… if that makes sense?

ChristianZ

Postby ChristianZ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 am

Hi Adam,

that is great news that you have found the culprit for the crashes! That might be a useful information for other people using Hybrido. Maybe send a bug report to Nextlimit? The newer method VDB-mesh is definitely faster.

I assume that vorticity has to be activated in the particle channel in order to be saved with the particles (and with meshes, if they have the option to incorporate these properties for shading&rendering). Otherwise it is only the position of the particles that is cached and sometimes the vorticity is a useful property for further use in the rendering or filtering to foam or spray.
RF10 standard + RFC4D

adametheridge

Postby adametheridge » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:18 am

That makes sense. I've flagged with NextLimit... thanks for you help with this!

Return to “Realflow”