Using RealFlow to disperse color drops into water?

Discussions about the use of Realflow
wsreinhard

Using RealFlow to disperse color drops into water?

Post by wsreinhard » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Basically I need to show a color dispersing into water in an eye-pleasing manner. Pretty much like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6PB7IKeHs4 where he's adding drops of food coloring to some water.

Is it possible to do something like this with RealFlow?

I've done some googling and couldn't find anyone doing this in RealFlow but I'm not really sure what it would be called in the fluid-sim world. The only videos I can find of liquid color mixing are like people dumping two different colors of paint together.

I'm trying to do this for a video I'm working on, but I want to make sure the software is capable of that before purchasing.

Oldcode

Re: Using RealFlow to disperse color drops into water?

Post by Oldcode » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:40 pm

I think it is possible. In Real Flow, there is a tool called a Filter Daemon. Under conditions you set, it will transfer particles from one group to another. This way, you can have the water in the flask be one color, and the drop be another.

Let's say the clear water in the flask is group A. The drop with the dye is group B. Using the Filter daemon, you can set it so every group A particle that comes in contact with a group B particle, will be moved to group B, and therefore change color.

You can set the parameters to make the transfer of particles to be fairly slow, so the fluid in the flash gradually changes color.

I've never tried this, but that is the first thought that comes to mind. You should probably download the demo and see if you can figure out how to do it.

Good Luck, :)
"My sword and my service are yours."

"Then forever remind him of his vow, Knight of the Old Code."

ChristianZ

Re: Using RealFlow to disperse color drops into water?

Post by ChristianZ » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:58 am

Hi everyone

unfortunately, it is hard to produce such fine structures of dissipating color or smoke-like fine turbulence with RealFlow, because it is a simulation of single fluid molecules (particles) where you usually put a polygon mesh around it. So, the liquids are always showing a "hard" surface instead of a wispy cloud.
The challenge with the filter approach is, that unfortunately you cannot use a particle-particle collision as filter decision, only particle-object collisions. Nevertheless, fluid properties such as internal and external pressure could be used to micic cold (small internal) versus hot (high internal pressure) liquids.
RF10.5 standard + RFC4D3, Mac&Windows

Return to “Realflow”