DSpline and Magic Daemon

Discussion about fluid simulation in Realflow 4
patorikkuwave

DSpline and Magic Daemon

Postby patorikkuwave » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:08 am

Hey folks

I have a question, I have to animate some kind of water splash, that comes out of the water and moves around in space ... and it has to look like water (with all the little sparkles and stuff) ...

I tried to model a mesh which looks like the path I want to get and then I used the magic daemon .. I also tried it with the dspline daemon ...

spline daemon looks very tubular, magic daemon does strange things ....

How would you achieve that? I'm new to realflow but I give my best :)

thank you!
:)

shaun_michael

DSpline and Magic Daemon

Postby shaun_michael » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:18 pm

You might try an object emitter here, animated along the path that you're after. Drag daemon's are often quite useful for helping to break up flows and detach fluid in a more controlled fashion. The noise daemon can also be utilised but you may need to write some scripting to separate out particles that you want it to affect.

I'm not quite across exactly what the sequence of events needs to be for your shot but from what I've gleaned from your post, that's where I'd start looking.

Shaun

patorikkuwave

DSpline and Magic Daemon

Postby patorikkuwave » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:22 am

hey Shaun

what kind of object are you talking about? and why an object emitter? ...
what I need is a fluid, which looks like whater, that is following a path, a DSpline looks more tubular ...

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3716623/2/istockphoto_3716623-water-wave-23.jpg

thanks

lukeiamyourfather

DSpline and Magic Daemon

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:52 am

patorikkuwave wrote: hey Shaun

what kind of object are you talking about? and why an object emitter? ...
what I need is a fluid, which looks like whater, that is following a path, a DSpline looks more tubular ...

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3716623/2/istockphoto_3716623-water-wave-23.jpg

thanks

That stock photo looks like a shot from the side of a transparent tank at the waterline, not really fluid following a path (the bubbles give it away). Does the fluid just need to go straight through the frame from one side to the other or does it have to go all over the place and wrap around stuff? Depending on how complex the fluid movement is will determine what methods will and won't work well.

Using the spline daemon is probably your best bet unless its a simple from one side to the other kind of fluid motion, then just an emitter with noise field and wind could do the trick. To get the spline daemon to look less like a tube, try using more rotational force and randomize each node of the spline a little bit. Cheers!

patorikkuwave

DSpline and Magic Daemon

Postby patorikkuwave » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:57 am

no, it just have to go from one side to another in a bezier shape
I will try the one you suggested and come back with more questions :)

let's go back to the DSpline :)

thanks

patorikkuwave

DSpline and Magic Daemon

Postby patorikkuwave » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:33 am

ok, some questions :)

how can I extend the thickness of the fluid, and how can I fit the fluid more to the DSpline? And how can I slow down the whole thing?

The Radial force of the CP's are set to 10 and the one from the DSpline to 5 ...

about the noise field, what's the best way to control this?

as I said, newbie ;)

would be really nice to get some help, as I need to finish it until Friday :) I'm also on Skype

Attached files

shaun_michael

DSpline and Magic Daemon

Postby shaun_michael » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:14 pm

Post #8 may be of use.

what kind of object are you talking about? and why an object emitter?

I was thinking that you may be able to animate what in effect would be a loose profile of the shape of fluid sculpt along a spline in your 3D app, bring that into RF and make it an object emitter, emitting particles on the faces opposite the direction of travel.

Just a thought.

Shaun

lukeiamyourfather

DSpline and Magic Daemon

Postby lukeiamyourfather » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:17 pm

patorikkuwave wrote: ok, some questions :)

how can I extend the thickness of the fluid, and how can I fit the fluid more to the DSpline? And how can I slow down the whole thing?

The Radial force of the CP's are set to 10 and the one from the DSpline to 5 ...

about the noise field, what's the best way to control this?

as I said, newbie ;)

would be really nice to get some help, as I need to finish it until Friday :) I'm also on Skype

The size of the control points can be changed to allow more fluid (like a larger pipe) instead of just a small stream. More control points can make turns and complex moves easier to animate. Too much noise will look funky, just a little bit. Also you'll want the noise field to move around since it doesn't change in terms of the distortion. I usually put an expression on the translation of the noise field so its constantly changing, or just key at the start and end frame range. Cheers!

patorikkuwave

DSpline and Magic Daemon

Postby patorikkuwave » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:05 am

hmm... I tried to increase the size of the CP's but it still looks like a small steam and very tubular ... I keep on trying :)

Water Test

Return to “RF4: Fluid simulation”